Understand Your EFL (Electricity Facts Lable)
What is an Electricity Facts Label?An Electricity Facts Label (EFL) is a document describing the details of a plan. The EFL will show the average electricity rate you will pay at certain usage levels. It will also show you other information like green percentage, base (monthly) charges and an early termination (cancellation) fee.
Where do I find my EFL?While shopping for a plan, there should be a link labeled "EFL" above the "Sign Up Now" button. When you sign up for a plan, your EFL should also be mailed to you from your electric company.
View All Electricity Rates
Key EFL Terms
- This is an amount credited back to your account after reaching a certain usage. If you do not meet the minimum usage, you will not receive this credit and your bill and price per kWh can be much higher. Be careful with these!
- The energy charge is how much you will pay the electricity provider per kWh you use.
- A monthly cost appended to your bill by your electric provider. Sometimes this only applies when usage is below a certain threshold.
- These are fees passed on to your electricity provider from your electric utility. These fees are present regardless of which company you choose.
- The amount you will have to pay for cancelling your contract before your term has expired. Does not apply to month-to-month plans.
What kinds of Texas Electricity Plans are there?
- Flat rate plans are electricity plans that have the same price per kWh, regardless of how much you use. These plans tend to have higher rates at 1,000 kWh but your bill amount should directly follow your usage amount.
Flat Rate Energy Plans you can order now
These fixed-rate plans are from providers currently hold a Gold, Silver or Bronze ranking by Texas Electricity Ratings. You can order these plans with confidence knowing that the rate you actually pay will be close to the advertised rate
Fixed Rate Houston Plans from Top Rated Providers
Company Term Rate Rhythm 8/months 15.2¢/kWh Chariot Energy 24/months 15.2¢/kWh Constellation 12/months 15.9¢/kWh Reliant 24/months 16.2¢/kWh Champion Energy Services 12/months 16.4¢/kWh Veteran Energy 24/months 16.7¢/kWh 4Change Energy 24/months 16.8¢/kWhRates as of Dec 03, 2023 at 02:35 PM
Fixed Rate Dallas Plans from Top Rated Providers
Company Term Rate Rhythm 8/months 14.8¢/kWh Chariot Energy 24/months 14.8¢/kWh Champion Energy Services 24/months 15.3¢/kWh Veteran Energy 24/months 15.6¢/kWh 4Change Energy 24/months 15.7¢/kWhRates as of Dec 03, 2023 at 02:35 PM
- For consumers who don't want to pay despoits or who need to monitor their energy costs very closely, a pre-paid electricity plan can be a good option. You will load money into an account with the provider, and as you use electricity they will deduct that amount from your account. When it gets low, you recharge the account. You won't be charged a big deposit to get your lights on! Sometimes the rates per kilowatt of usage are higher than post-paid plans.
Pre-Paid Energy Plans you can order now
These prepaid plans can get your lights on today without a big deposit
Prepaid Electricity Plans for the Houston Region
Company Term Rate Payless Power 6/months 18.2¢/kWhRates as of Dec 03, 2023 at 02:35 PM
Prepaid Electricity Plans for the Dallas Area
Company Term Rate Payless Power 6/months 17.9¢/kWhRates as of Dec 03, 2023 at 02:35 PM
- Some plans have different rates at different usage amounts, or tiers. These can make your bill amount seem unstable and not weather oriented.
- Bill credit plans are plans that give you credits at certain levels of usage. You will generally pay a higher rate per kWh that will be offset when you hit an arbitrary threshold. These generally make the rates look nice when right at 1,000 kWh.
Bill Credit Energy Plans you can order now
These bill credit plans are from providers currently hold a Gold, Silver or Bronze ranking by Texas Electricity Ratings. You should read the EFL and be sure you understand if or when the bill credits will apply
Bill Credit Plans from Top Rated Providers for Houston Metro Area
Company Term Rate 4Change Energy 24/months 12.4¢/kWh Gexa Energy 12/months 12.4¢/kWh Veteran Energy 36/months 14.7¢/kWh Constellation 12/months 14.9¢/kWhRates as of Dec 03, 2023 at 02:35 PM
Bill Credit Plans from Top Rated Providers for the Dallas Metro Area
Company Term Rate 4Change Energy 24/months 12.3¢/kWh Gexa Energy 12/months 12.4¢/kWh Veteran Energy 36/months 13.5¢/kWh Constellation 12/months 14.9¢/kWhRates as of Dec 03, 2023 at 02:35 PM
- These plans have very high monthly charges but little-to-no usage fees up to a certain point. After you've used a certain amount of electricity you will begin being billed per kWh. They can work out nicely if your usage is consistent and right around the sweet-spot, but if your usage is generally low you should probably stay away.